Sunday, September 28, 2014

Acceptance

I'm struggling with acceptance of my current crippled state- an injured knee and osteoarthritis of my hip. I'm waiting, sometimes impatiently for an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon and trying to come to terms with the fact that I may be laid up for the winter. Not having a car except for 2 days a week, that thought is a bit daunting.
Some days, I'm resigned to it and diligently do things like weight routines, easy yoga and chair aerobics, which are surprisingly good by the way.
And then I get a need to get outside, and not just into my yard. i need, I crave the forest. Last Thursday, and friday, I ventured out ,camera in hand, into my beloved trails. On Thursday night I kept my wits about me, going gently, and not too far with my walking poles. It was just far enough to breathe in the sights and smells of the forest. i got some spectacular photos.
On Friday night, having had the taste of it, I decided to take a sandwich and some drawing supplies to Daley Point Nature Reserve. this time I made the mistake of venturing much too far. It was beautiful, serene, and it filled my spirits with peace while I was there.
I ended up eating my sandwich on our waterfront after being chased away from the reserve by the mosquitoes. it was so warm they came out again.
However, I suffered in pain all Friday night and yesterday. i napped twice yesterday! It was worth it because I thoroughly enjoyed and learned that next time one small walk is enough.
Lesson learned.



No comments:

Post a Comment